lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV executable file with Lynx (DEC-ALPHA)

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV executable file with Lynx (DEC-ALPHA)
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 1996 20:25:47 -0500 (EST)

chris <address@hidden> wrote to me instead of lynx-dev:
>Since everything is working other than the local executables, I assume
>that something is not defined correctly in userdefs.h. I am speaking
>specifically of #define EXEC_LINKS. I don't really understand the format
>for that. In the docs, it says that in VMS, it should be
>lynxexec://<COMMAND> if the command begins with a @, which it does in
>this case. So, what should the entry in #define EXEC_LINKS look like?
>Also, you mention that EXEC_SCRIPTS should be defined. Why does this need
>to be defined, and what would the #EXEC_SCRIPTS line look like? I
>apologize for my ignorance, but I am somewhat of a novice and we are
>really at a loss as to what to do.

        Please continue to use the lynx-dev list, not my private email,
for questions and discussion about Lynx.  I am CCing this reply to the
list.

        I apparently misinterpreted your previous message to mean that
you wanted to execute rather than just display VMS command files
accessed via file://localhost/device/directory/foo.com URLs.  That's
not a good idea, and I'm glad that you don't, so don't define EXEC_SCRIPTS.
If you only want to allow lynxexec and lynxprog URLs, then only define
EXEC_LINKS, by simply uncommenting it in userdefs.h:

#define EXEC_LINKS

Then uncomment any regulatory definitions in that section, based on
their "self documentation.  I recommend uncommenting the following:

#define ALLOW_USERS_TO_CHANGE_EXEC_WITHIN_OPTIONS
#define NEVER_ALLOW_REMOTE_EXEC

and change this one to TRUE:

#define LOCAL_EXECUTION_LINKS_ON_BUT_NOT_REMOTE  TRUE

        The <COMMAND> for any lynxexec or lynxprog URL on VMS should
be exactly the same as what you'd use on the DCL command line (i.e.,
do use VMS file specs in that if a path is involved).

        If you compile Lynx with the definitions as above, and still
have problems, do  $ define/user sys$error foo.txt  before invoking
Lynx, and toggle on trace mode (^T) before activated the lynxexec or
lynxprog URL, then post the relevant section of foo.txt so we can see
what is still going wrong with your setup.

                                Fote