lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV FAQ and lynx manual

From: Hiram Lester, Jr.
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV FAQ and lynx manual
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 1996 22:56:35 -0600 (CST)

On Tue, 19 Nov 1996, Scott McGee (Personal) wrote:

> I found another way to make a table work well for both netscape and lynx.
> Look at the URL http://www.slcc.edu/calendar.html with both. The trick to
> get the lynx display right was simply include each table element in a <P>
> with the desired ALIGN attribute. With GUI browsers, it aligns the data
> within the cell as desired, and with lynx, it aligns it as a regular
> paragraph. Likely won't work for all tables, but it or some variation of
> it should help with many.

Ok, it's pretty similar to mine but with a little more space in the
fields.  I haven't had a gander at it in Netscape yet, but I can get some
idea from the source of what it will look like.  Congratulations, it
validates on HTML 3.2 as well! :)  That was one important factor for me
when I figured out my little BR trick (and the fact that the information
was presented in much the same manner in both browsers.  For an example of
my method, check out http://www.mtsu.edu/~housing/ and the little table
"toolbar" at the bottom.  By creative use of BR's and ALT's, I've managed
to make it look basically identical in all versions of Lynx that I had
available to test it (2.3, 2.4, 2.5, 2.6) and fairly nice in Netscape and
IE as well.  I'm taking this page over from someone else, and one of my
major things so far has been to get the pages to validate (I have a long
way to go although the top few pages now do).

For an example of the "correct" way to do tables in Lynx, check out
http://pobox.com/~hwlester/schedule.html and it's use of TAB's.  The code
is REALLY horrid, and I don't know if it would validate properly under ANY
DTD although it might under 3.0 and possibly under 3.2 if they still have
the abandoned 3.0 tags in there as deprecated...  This table appears the
same in Netscape, IE, and Lynx.