lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV pardon my french

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV pardon my french
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 1996 19:32:13 -0600 (CST)

On Sun, 17 Nov 1996, David Combs wrote:

> > From: Klaus Weide <address@hidden>
> > To: address@hidden
> >
> > On Sun, 17 Nov 1996, David Combs wrote:
> >
> > > Did you see my suggestion on FRENCH ACCENTS for lynx (via using
> > > simple UPPERCASE if the letter had an accent of either of the
> > > two types, etc)?
> > >
> > > Please -- what did you THINK of it?
> >
> > Since you are asking...
> > You show NO signs whatsoever of having tried to find out what Lynx
> > already DOES to show foreign characters in a 7bit environment.
> >
> > RTFM.
>
> Hey, you think I sent that in without even trying it?

Yes.

> Maybe you have a better version of lynx than I do, but
> here is what I get via lynx 2.6:
>
> Here is the output:

[ snipped ]

> And, I DID search the lynx manual for "accent", found one occurrence,
> and to me it had nothing to do with the above.

The R in RTFM stands for "Read", not for "Make one quick attempt to
find something, and if that fails assume it is not there".

Maybe we cannot expect all users to fully _read_ the Users Guide.
But I certainly don't think it is too much to ask from someone who is
continuously making suggestions for (what he regards as) "improvements".

> NOW, please tell me how to get lynx to show this stuff "correctly"
> in seven-bit ascii.

Did you look for "character set", or "8-bit", or "charset", or "language"?

Did you ever try to find out what those things on the O)ptions screen
mean?

   Klaus

;
;