lynx-dev

LYNX-DEV DIRED mods

From: Hiram Lester, Jr.
Subject: LYNX-DEV DIRED mods
Date: Sat, 16 Nov 1996 03:37:21 -0600 (CST)

Well, I'm in the process of getting the next set of updates up, and was
testing the Klaus' DIRED mods, and they do seem to improve the behavior of
DIRED at least on my linux box (working of HP-UX build as I type).  I
*DID* however notice some odd behavior in DIRED.  Below are my comments on
it:

Tag works like it's supposed to which it never did before on either Linux
or HP-UX.  You could tag but not untag.  It also seems to be a lot faster
coming up with the initial directory.  The only problem I see with it in
quick perusal is that when you are in the root directory, you still get a
../ in the file list although Klaus removed the one at the top of the
screen.  Trying to go above the root directory has strange effects on the
file paths in the links and titles, and puts the ../ link back at the top
of the page.

Ok, got it up and running on HP-UX with similar results.  The ../ thingy
is still kinda strange.  When I get to /tmp, it doesn't appear at the top
of the screen, but still appears in the file list.  I just checked on
Linux and identical behavior.  It seems to perform identically on both
though, quirks and all. :)

Klaus, sorry to burst your bubble. :)  Keep on working on it though, and I
might actually find a use for DIRED mode. :)  It was way too slow before,
and now it actually seems reasonable.  I'm definitely impressed. :)