lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Re: Slang version of lynx doesn't work in xterm in XFree86

From: David Combs
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Re: Slang version of lynx doesn't work in xterm in XFree86 3.2
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 1996 07:29:12 -0800

> From address@hidden Sun Nov 10 17:41:59 1996
> Date: Sun, 10 Nov 96 20:20:42 EST
> From: "John E. Davis" <address@hidden>
> To: address@hidden
> Cc: address@hidden
> Subject: LYNX-DEV Re: Slang version of lynx doesn't work in xterm in XFree86
> 3.2
> Sender: address@hidden
>
> >I'm sending this to lynx-dev and to the author of slang. Lynx with slang
> >(on Linux) doesn't work in xterm window under the new XFree86 (3.2). It
> >just says "terminal not powerful enough for SLang", even when I set TERM
> >to vt100.
>
> The XFree86 version of xterm sets the TERMCAP environment variable to
> an inappropriate value.  Either upgrade to slang 0.99-35 which ignores
> the TERMCAP environment variable if TERM is xterm, or unset the
> TERMCAP environment variable before running lynx.
>
> --John
> ;
> ; To UNSUBSCRIBE:  Send a mail message to address@hidden
> ;                  with "unsubscribe lynx-dev" (without the
> ;                  quotation marks) on a line by itself.
> ;

SUGGESTION: COPY all the associated needed software (eg slang)
 to the places where people go to get Lynx sources -- that
 way:

 1)  It is easier on the user, since he/she can SEE what is
     needed, all on one www-page (ftp-dir).

 2)  Easier (MUCH!) for user, since the VERSIONS match -- whoever
     built the lynx, that same person makes sure that the right
     versions of ALL needed software are there too.

 3)  This way ONE person does the archie, etc, to FIND the needed
     software, instead of EACH person having to repeat the same
     drill (with each probably getting a DIFFERENT version!)

 4)  Everyone talks about how system-administrators keep upgrading-Lynx
     at the bottom of their to-do lists.  Anything that can make THEIR
     jobs easier helps their users -- ie, the "lynx community".

 5)  For "binaries" for certain popular computers (sparc sunos & solaris,
     etc), maybe some could be built WITH slang, etc (colors, etc) or
     curses as alternative -- so sysadms can merely download and install,
     no sweat, ie "turn-key".

;
;