lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV modular code

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV modular code
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 1996 21:45:00 -0600 (CST)

On Mon, 11 Nov 1996, Nelson Henry Eric wrote:

> > > It is extremely easy to remove modules from the wwwlib stuff; there are
> > > even commented instructions right along the code in HTAccess.c on how to
> > > do it.  Of course this has no effect on the lynx binary.
> >
> > Do you mean no effect at all, or just no significant effect?  If you
> > eliminate e.g. all traces of HTFinger.o from the relevant Makefile,
>                                                    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> No effect at all.  My, quite likely mistaken, understanding is that the
> only relevant Makefile is src/Makefile, i. e., relevant to getting a
> smaller binary.

Actually I think my thinking was mistaken.  The *.o files for the "normal"
Library protocol modules HT{TP,FTP,Gopher, etc} are not listed in the
src/Makefile, but in the .../Implementation tree Makefiles.  For most
unices the so-called CommonMakefile would be the one used.  But whether
something is listed there or not directly affects the size of the
libwww.a file, not of the Lynx binary..

If the Lynx binary is still the same size after you have omitted
protocols from HTAccess.c, there must be some other reference in the code
somewhere to it.  So removing modules is not "extremely" easy after all(:

 Klaus

;
;