lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Tables and Anchors

From: Hiram Lester, Jr.
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Tables and Anchors
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 1996 02:38:08 -0600 (CST)

On Sun, 10 Nov 1996, Wayne Buttles wrote:

> Correct me if I am wrong, but (although it isn't "proper") shouldn't table
> elements close open anchor texts?  I wish I could remember what I read
> that made me think this was true and not just a netscapism but now I can't
> find the reference.

It probably should, but you forget what Fote has said numerous times about
Lynx's table "rendering".  TD's are treated as collapsible spaces, and
TR's are treated as BR's, so your example:

Will be seen by Lynx as:

This is a test <br>

Which would render the same as your second example. (how Lynx is actually
doing it)

> Not:
>
> This is a test
> This is a test

It might not be TOO much work to make Lynx do it "right", but whether it's
worth it or not is another matter. :)