lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV SSL?

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV SSL?
Date: Fri, 08 Nov 1996 10:22:38 -0500 (EST)

Pawel Krawczyk <address@hidden> wrote:
>Recently on sunsite.unc.edu (Linux/Incoming) there appeared
>archive containing lynx2-6 with SSL. This works, but there's
>only executable compiled with slang support. I wanted to recompile
>it for ncurses, but the sources downloaded from www.wfbr.edu don't
>contain any SSL support. Is there any way to get SSL+ncurses version?

        This is a problem which has not been resolved, and no resolution
is on the horizon, IMHO, based on the messages posted about it thus far.

        Tom had been making patches for SSL hooks that use the SSLeay
libraries available via ftp, and links to those are in the Lynx Enhanced
Pages.  However, Tom has come up with another way of handling https and
snews URLs at his site, without need for hooks in the browser itself, so
it's not reasonable for him to keep offering the Lynx hooks when he's no
longer using or keeping them up himself.

        I have a lynx2-6ssleay.zip to go with Lynx v2.6 and my personal
lynx2-6mods.zip replacement file set, and I think the lynx2-6ssleay.zip
"further replacement" files would be OK with the official Composite
replacements and LynxRP as those presently stand, but I can only email
the hooks (as a uuencoding of the zip) to at most a few US or Canadian
citizens, without any intentions -- on my part -- to re-distribute beyond
the US and Canada.  But no one has asked for those, so I, and Tom to keep
each other informed about our SSL-related enhancements, are the only ones
who have those.

                                Fote