lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx Impaired Site

From: gregory j. rosmaita
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx Impaired Site
Date: Thu, 7 Nov 1996 11:44:44 -0500 (EST)

aloha, chris!

> I prefer to know who's a bozo.  I can switch parsing styles; setting
> minimal comment parsing got me some stuff, but their HTML is wrecked
> in more ways than one.  After the <html> tag, a bunch of <meta>s, and
> then a <head> start tag,...  The amusing thing is that they were
> careful to close all the tags they'd opened.

i can tell you from my correspondence with the directory of MS'
Accessiblity Project (yeah--an oxymoron, i know) that MS' own pages are
entirely constructed using (surprise! surprise!) authoring software, so
i would imagine that the same holds true for the msnbc site--humans
pluging-and-playing, pointing and clicking their way onto the web
in an hermetically sealed closed (OS) system...

http://www.lycos.com/customsearch.html suffers from the similar design
flaws, some of which lynx26 is smart enough to overcome, although it does
still generate a BAD HTML! warning while loading the page...

recently i was asked via a blindness-related list "why is the submit
button missing when the page is rendered by LYNX?", and when i listened
to the document source, the answer was simple--the submit button is an
ALT-tagless clickable graphic...

<INPUT TYPE="image" SRC="/graphics/gogetit.gif" BORDER=0 ALIGN=top>

lynx26 generates an:

        [IMAGE]-Submit

button when it encounters the offending code, but lynx 2.4.2 and less
don't display a damn thing...  one wonders how long it would have taken
someone to simply amend the tag thus:

<INPUT TYPE="image" SRC="/graphics/gogetit.gif" ALT="Go Get It!" BORDER=0
ALIGN=top>

but then, that would assume that the people over at lycos actually give a
damn about text-based access (personally, i don't know why anyone would
use lycos to perform a search anyway--the output is extremely poor and
its rendering leaves a hell of alot to be desired...

amongst the other errors on the page are a second <head>...</head> tag and
the failure of the HTML generator to close the form with a </FORM> tag...

in any event, since the page is so damn speech-hostile and riddled with
errors, i reformatted it to make it speech- and text-friendlier...  i
mention this because someone else complained about the use of select
option scroll-bars on the page...  basically, all i did was

1. remove the tables and reformat the forms, placing each option on a single
line
2. reformat the select option scroll-bar choices as radio buttons
3. corrected all improper HTML

the reformat can be found at:

        http://www.hicom.net/~oedipus/lycos.html

and will shortly join the other reformatted search engine submission
forms located at:

        http://www.hicom.net/~oedipus/search.html