lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Finding Lynx

From: Scott McGee (Personal)
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Finding Lynx
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 1996 14:46:25 -0700

Al Gilman <address@hidden> writes:

>  From: address@hidden (Scott McGee (Personal))
>
>  I just added a link to lynx.browser.org for people looking for lynx, and then
>  checked it to make sure I typed it right. It worked, but upon reading the
>  page there, it occured to me that someone wanting find lynx for their machine
>  would read the entries there and then likely be left wondering where to go
> for
>  the sources still.
>
>  I would like to suggest that an additional list item be added:
>
>  <LI>To obtain Lynx, go to the Lynx Enhanced Pages site for a
>  <A HREF="http://www.nyu.edu/pages/wsn/subir/lynx.html#toc";>list of download
>  sites</A>.</LI>
>
>OK.  So there's one person who didn't decode the import of the
>link at the phrase "runs on."  It that really too subtle?
>
>It was blatant until I came under sevEre pressure to keep it short.

Hmm, OK, I confess, I looked at it in Netscape, and so forgot about the
desire to limit things to one screen. I apologize!

When I was looking at it, I was in my "Dumb User" emulation mode. I did
see the "runs on" link, but figured a "Dumb User" would just ignore that
(as most certainly would! IMHO) so I made the suggestion above. Now,
having reviewed it with lynx to be sure my idea works, let me ammend my
suggestion to:

change the line:

<li>A broad range of Lynx information is collected at the <a
href="http://www.nyu.edu/pages/wsn/subir/lynx.html";>Lynx Enhanced
Pages</a>.

to become:

<li>A broad range of Lynx information is collected at the <a
href="http://www.nyu.edu/pages/wsn/subir/lynx.html";>Lynx Enhanced
Pages</a> including
<A HREF="http://www.nyu.edu/pages/wsn/subir/lynx.html#toc";>where
to get Lynx</A>.

which, when rendered would change:

     * A broad range of Lynx information is collected at the Lynx
       Enhanced Pages.

to:

     * A broad range of Lynx information is collected at the Lynx
       Enhanced Pages including where to get Lynx.

and not change the display size. I really think that "Dumb Users" need
this level of explicit directions!

Does this seem a little more reasonable?

Scott

Scott McGee: Salt Lake Community College Webmaster | When in danger,