lynx-dev

LYNX-DEV Lynx bug -- relative paths in FTP

From: Hrvoje Niksic
Subject: LYNX-DEV Lynx bug -- relative paths in FTP
Date: 04 Nov 1996 17:06:12 +0100

I have found Lynx having problems when I specify a relative directory
in FTP.  E.g. when trying to retrieve URL
ftp://hniksic:address@hidden/c/

lynx logs in to the server, and tries to CWD to /c, which is not
compliant with RFC1738.  The relevant excerpt from the trace log
follows:

HTParse: aName:ftp://hniksic:address@hidden:21/c   relatedName:
1
HTParse: result:/c
HTFTP: UnEscaped /c
  Tx: RETR /c
    Rx: 550 /c: No such file OR directory.
  Tx: CWD /c
    Rx: 550 /c: No such file or directory.

According to RFC1738, the default paths should be relative by default,
and absolute if otherwise stated.  So the result from HTParse should
have been `c', not `/c'.

Here is the exact quote from RFC1738:

[... explanation that "/" and ";" must be coded ...]
   For example, the URL <URL:ftp://address@hidden/%2Fetc/motd> is
   interpreted by FTP-ing to "host.dom", logging in as "myname"
   (prompting for a password if it is asked for), and then executing
   "CWD /etc" and then "RETR motd". This has a different meaning from
   <URL:ftp://address@hidden/etc/motd> which would "CWD etc" and then
   "RETR motd"; the initial "CWD" might be executed relative to the
   default directory for "myname". On the other hand,
   <URL:ftp://address@hidden//etc/motd>, would "CWD " with a null
   argument, then "CWD etc", and then "RETR motd".
[...]

Please keep me in Cc, since I am not a member of the list.

--
Hrvoje Niksic <address@hidden> | Student at FER Zagreb, Croatia