lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Where is Zaire?

From: Roger Hill
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Where is Zaire?
Date: Sat, 2 Nov 1996 18:34:26 -0400 (GMT-0400)

Despite your unwarranted sarcasm, I will try to help.

On Sat, 2 Nov 1996, Philip Webb wrote:

> impressed as i am by the erudition of lynx-dev subscribers,
> am i the only one around who hasn't yet learned all the terminology?
>
>   1  what is  linux ?

Linux is a free unix clone, for Pc's and some other platforms too.
>   2  what are  ncurses / slang ?
Screen handling routines for Unix
>   3  what is  SSL ?

Secure socket layer: it makes for secure data transfers over TCP/IP

>   4  what is the difference between  gethostbyname  &  LYgethostbyname ?
The first is a unix/C function, the latter is a Lynx module

>   5  what is  VMS ? -- presumably it has nothing to do with VM or CMS
>      (i seem to remember VAXes using something like it years ago).
>      no doubt it's irrelevant to ask why everyone doesn't use unix.
Bingo! It is the VAX operating system.

> there is regularly expressed anguish at the fact that the terrible world
> out there doesn't know about lynx, doesn't write good code & is generally
> going to hell, BUT if lynx developers simply talk to one another in jargon
> with never a gesture -- eg  [for the rest of you, SSL is whateveritis]  --
> they really have only themselves to blame.

Remember, this list is "lynx-dev" .. development stuff.  None of the
items above are overly esoteric.

> there are apparently people out there who read the washington post
> who need to be told "Zaire is a large country in Central Africa"
> & "It has been ruled with an iron hand for the past 30 yrs by Pres Mobutu":
> that's why the wp & other journals include a few such sentences
> in EVERY story they write about the latest from that unhappy place.

So sad, the level of education in North America.

> but perhaps what's good enough for the washington post
> is not good enough for lynx-dev.
No comment