lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Re: downloading docs to local directory

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Re: downloading docs to local directory
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 1996 15:33:06 -0600 (CST)

On Thu, 31 Oct 1996, Foteos Macrides wrote:

> Martin Voges <address@hidden> wrote:
> >On 31/10/96 Culhane <address@hidden> wrote:
> >
> >>I want to download pictures and docs from the web to my
> >>local directory on my unix account.  At the moment when I
> >>try to download filesThey are downloaded to another
> >>directory on the  Unix system which does not exist.  How do
> >>I change the default directory to my local  directory.
> >
> >You can a) edit the SAVE_SPACE definition in lynx.cfg or
> >b) set a LYNX_SAVE_SPACE environment variable or
> >c) edit the filename prompt offered by Lynx (though that
> >doesn't change the default).
>
>       Hurrah!!!  The right answer!  And as in the followup, it uses
> the current default directory if neither SAVE_SPACE nor LYNX_SAVE_SPACE
> were set.

Okay okay, I tried to guard against that with the word "normally", where
my personal definition of normality is that SAVE_SPACE etc. are not
defined... ;)  But you all remind me that I shouldn't make assumptions...
so thanks for the corrections/additions.

Anyway, in the specific case that triggered this lively thread, it turns
out that all our initial guesses where some lightyears off.  The user
clarified to me:

It says enter file name and i do so.
> Then it says
> "saving......sh: /usr/ucb/pc: not found."

That looks more like a simple typo in userdefs.h than anything else.
Culhane had misunderstood the message from the shell.  I told him
to talk to the people who compiled and installed Lynx to correct
the typo.

BTW defining SAVE_SPACE to some nonexisting directory would be a rather
inefficient way of preventing downloads...  I assume if that had been
the intention, the user would never see a download prompt.

  Klaus

;
;