lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV DOS, DOS and Windows

From: Egor Egorov
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV DOS, DOS and Windows
Date: Sat, 26 Oct 1996 17:39:03 -0300 (GMT+3)

On Thu, 24 Oct 1996, Wayne Buttles wrote:

> >From my limited understanding of compilers, a true plain DOS port of the
> >current
> Lynx2-6 is not
> possible because some of the obj files generated are bigger than 64k.
> If Lynx were restructured
> there might be a chance, but a drastic change would take some
> co-ordination among the masses.  It
> also generates a very big image--maybe too big to run on a low end machine
> without optimizations.
> Much of the Lynx code compiles well with Borland C 3.1 and 4.5 and works with
> PDCURSES 2.2 (not sure
> about S-lang), although there are some definate problems with pointers as
> well
> as 16bit integers.

Look: Lynx is text-mode. Where now people can use text-mode www browser ?

1st, for ergonomic websurfing.
2nd, if not enough memory.
3rd, for speed.
..., on low-end machines.

I think, an old XT with slipper.exe or etherppp.exe with lynx will be very
nice to use!! So, I think, a realmode port is very important. maybe with
some sex, but it have to be. :)

How d'you think ?

> Wayne

;