lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV suspending lynx

From: Hiram Lester, Jr.
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV suspending lynx
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 1996 22:47:04 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 25 Oct 1996, Hiram Lester, Jr. wrote:

> I posted a while back that I was having trouble returning to lynx after
> suspending it with Control-G.  Well, after compiling it on several other
> platforms, I've noticed that the trouble only seems to manifest itself on
> the HP-UX version (snake2).
>
> Basically, when you foreground lynx again, it doesn't redraw the screen.
> Pressing Control-L does nothing but move the cursor.  Pressing Q and
> return does quit as normal, so it's still there... It's almost as if the
> text is invisible.  Any ideas?

Ok, this is REALLY strange.  It works sorta now on HP-UX, and seems to
have been broken on Red Hat Linux!  I just built the HP-UX version on 9.07
(with include files from 9.05).  This includes the update archive.  When
run on the machine it was built on, it suspends and resumes perfectly.
When run on HP-UX 10.01, when you foreground it, it immediately suspends
again.  A second fg will get it back up correctly.  The Red Hat Linux
version appears to be the original 10/2 release of 2.6 (I hardly ever use
that one, and am very lax about updating it... hey, I'm not the sys-admin
{g}).  When that one is foregrounded, it quits with no messages:

tennessee> fg
lynx
tennessee> fg
No jobs

Or something like that.  I tried to build the current version on the Linux
machines, and gcc is acting up over there and won't write out the .o
files.  Suspend and resume work properly on my SlackWare setup at home...
on all versions of 2.6.  I don't think I tried the 2.5 that was
pre-installed.

So, once again, any ideas?  Could this be related to some of the memory
leaks that still exist, and that the addition of code made it work better?