lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV updated updated again.

From: Al Gilman
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV updated updated again.
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 1996 08:52:12 -0400 (EDT)

  From: Rob Partington - Admin <address@hidden>

  As an aside: do people want a better version string?  I did implement one
  of these in a LYVersion.h which was created at compile time which contained
  the compiler, compilee(?), system information and the patch level (which
  was completely made up, but there you go).

  Any takers?

Would you consider putting the above information in plain HTML
2.0 in an "About_Lynx_<major.version>_<hash.key>.html" page and
just use the hash key in HTTP identification of the user agent?

I do want better version identification; it will help us with
bug diagnosis for end-users.

"Patch level" assumes a linear sequence of integrations.  I am
anarchic enough to think that the way we identify precise
versions should support different people publishing derived works
(binaries, patch compilations, replacement-source libraries...)
which contain arbitrary sets of the extant patches.

If we allow for that in our mental model, I despair of a short
string encoding with complete information.

Al Gilman
;
;