lynx-dev

LYNX-DEV Web page design (was Re: FET courses here and there) (fwd)

From: Carl Reimann
Subject: LYNX-DEV Web page design (was Re: FET courses here and there) (fwd)
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 1996 09:11:58 GMT

 An increasingly familiar cry...

 Carl

 ---Forwarded Msg---
 On Thu, 24 Oct 1996 15:42:44 +0800,
        address@hidden (Roger Atkinson) said:

 Bernadette wrote:
 >>http://www.usq.edu.au/faculty/educate/fet/index.html
 >
 > Thanks for that. I was trying to avoid it. <g> We're doing the bells
 > and flashing lights one right now.  Should offer students/clients
 > much more information.

 Please, all web page designers, hear this plea! Hear, hear! Please go
 easy on "the bells and flashing lights" and heavy on the
 information. Other kinds of sites can give the gimmickery, for example
 www.mcdonalds.com (uugghh!! designed for their principal customers).

 Most of the readers of our pages are working adults looking for career
 related information in a quick and efficient way, with files that:

 1. Enable quick, intuitive navigation to the particular information
 being sought.  2. Have reasonable file sizes (thus arriving and
 displaying to screen quickly, especially important for users of modem
 connections).  3. Do not have gimmicks which overload the capacity
 (speed, disk space, memory) of the typical middle aged PC or Mac
 residing on the typical desk.  4. Are rich with information in
 constrast to rich with visual entertainment.

 "My" kind of site is exemplified by www.nla.gov.au - get in fast, find
 it fast, I compliment them. For an illustration of excessive features
 I personally find awful, try Waikato Polytechnic,
 http://www.twp.ac.nz/ (sorry Waikato, but ...)

 > Btw, have you seen some of the overseas internet offerings in adult
 > and voc ed?  Almost cheaper than Oz Hecs: it is a worry....

 Yes, I guess quite a few of us have the spectre of massive competition
 via the Internet on our minds. At the same time, there's massive
 opportunities.  Which is a good reason for beavering away at
 listservers and webservers, the basic "tools" of this new trade.

 Roger.
 (PS: Bernadette, if by "bells and flashing lights" you meant judicious,
 informative graphics, I apologise for my exaggerations)

 Dr Roger Atkinson
 Snr Lect in Educational Technology, Academic Services Unit,
 Murdoch University, Murdoch WA 6150, Australia.
 Voice +61 9 360 6840 fax +61 9 310 4929 Email: address@hidden
 http://cleo.murdoch.edu.au/asu/edtech/edtech.html

 = Address for posting to this list: address@hidden