lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/refindex.html

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/refindex.html
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 1996 08:00:23 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 23 Oct 1996, Jarkko Hietaniemi wrote:

> Klaus Weide writes:
>
>  > I am not sure what you are saying here.
>  >
>  > Actually, it seems clear enough, it is just so strange I have to ask:
>  >
>  > Are you really saying that *first* Lynx gives you that "A Fatal error...
>  > ...Lynx now exiting..." message but then instead of immediately exiting
>  > it goes on to put garbage on your screen??
>
> Yes, that is exactly what I saw, I still see, and what I think
> I said... Perhaps I should have stressed the strangeness. First lynx
> babbles about signal 11 _and_ then it still tries to render something
> and _then_ it says 'exiting via interrupt 0'.

Well I have no idea why that is.  Other than "if you overwrite the wrong
part of memory, all kinds of weird things can happen".  Lynx tries to
do lots of cleanup actions on exit (mostly cleaning up allocated memory -
yes it _does_ stuff like that :) ) and may get confused there.

>  > The unfixed Lynx will fail if it tries to display more than 256 links
>  > on one page.
>
> Static allocation? #define MAXFOO 256? Oh my goodness, this is 1996,
> isn't it? :-)

Hey, I am sure in Web years that part of code is older than you
personally, so show some respect!

>  > - wait for a new official Lynx release,
>
> About when? I do not want yyyy:mm:dd:HH:MM:SS estimate, just a
> rough idea, monthwise or so.

May take some time.  (Maybe if you help out with some solid bits of
'96 knowledge, things will happen faster :-) )

>  > - get the Composite Patch package from
>  >   <URL: http://www.mtsu.edu/~ripa0003/lynx.html> and try it,

They're actually not patches, but replacement source files.

> Thanks. I'll try if I find time to install a Lynx of my own,
> I am not the sysadmin at the site I found this bug.
>
>  > - use a smaller screen size (if that is possible).
>
> I rather like my 80x65 vt220 :-), using it from under screen(1)
> is neat with a 19.2 line.

For completeness, I forgot to mention that you also can recompile
Lynx with MAXFOO defined to something large.  5200 = 80*65 should be
safe enough for you...

  Klaus

;
;