lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Question about BASE implementation

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Question about BASE implementation
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 1996 21:19:06 -0500 (EST)

Klaus Weide <address@hidden> wrote:
>[...]
>Well that must mean that my "explanation" failed... I'll better let
>Subir explain himself what he meant and give examples, rather than risking
>to add to misunderstandings.

        OK.

>>      Fragments are not part of the URL..  They're instructions
>> to the client [...]
>
>Yes, I noticed that RFC 1808 regarded fragments indentifiers as "not part
>of the the URL".  I decided to not mention that complication...
>The difference doesn't seem very relevant (in the context of _resolving_
>relative URLs) anyway:  whether strictly "part of the URL" or not, the
>RFC goes on to describe how they are inherited (or not, as in all normal
>cases).  Also, parameters (the stuff after a ';') _are_ regarded as part
                ^^^^^^^^^^                         ?????
>of the URL, but are not inherited from the base in most cases.
                     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^                  ????

        But I also don't understand what you're saying about parameters.
RFC 1808 says:

   Parameters, regardless of their purpose, do not form a part of the
   ^^^^^^^^^^                               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
   URL path and thus do not affect the resolving of relative paths.  In
   ^^^^^^^^
   particular, the presence or absence of the ";type=d" parameter on an
   ftp URL does not affect the interpretation of paths relative to that
   URL.  Fragment identifiers are only inherited from the base URL when
   the entire embedded URL is empty.

Can you think of any cases in which parameters *should* be inherited from
the base? (I can't.)

        Also, do you understand that last sentence about a condition for
which a fragment is inherited from the base? (I don't.)

                                Fote