lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] LWIP Git different branches

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] LWIP Git different branches
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2021 20:43:43 +0100

Am 25.11.2021 um 17:41 schrieb Ali Naseri:
Hello,

I am using LWIP in a project to implement a ModbusTCP interface.

Now I see that there are 2 branches in GIT, namely the master branch and
the STABLE branch.

Now how do these branches relate to each other in the further
development and debugging of the software?

Are developments in the master branch also transferred to the STABLE
branch and vice versa?

Why are releases not continuously forked from the master branch and the
STABLE branch seemingly developed independently from the master branch,
if you look at the GIT source tree?

Sure it has a simple and logical explanation, but it's not transparent
to me yet.

Originally, there were no branches. The STABLE_2_1_x branch only started
because git has this cool feature called cherry picking, where you can
selectively add some commits from the master branch to that stable
branch, which gives us a very quick possibility to create smaller bugfix
releases even though the master branch is not in a state where we would
release it.

I'm planning on getting the next release based on master, though. That
will probably be the end of the STABLE_2_1_x branch.

Regards,
Simon