lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] LwIP tweaking the TCP stack behavior

From: Patrick Klos
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] LwIP tweaking the TCP stack behavior
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2020 20:17:41 -0500

On 2/20/2020 11:00 AM, eitan via lwip-users wrote:
Hello,

I have a small device that sends data over TCP at a fast rate, this is a
small and not very cable hardware.
Now, LwIP is (as it should) maintains an acknowledge Q of ACKed packets so
it could re-transmit if it has to.
In my implementation, there is no need to handle ACKs at all.
Obviously it could be argued why not use UDP or RAW socket?
Well I wish I could, but the other listening device is an old and slow
machine that knows only TCP and can't be changed.

Since I don't care about respecting re-transmissions, and loosing few
packets is not an issue,
I assume that removing the ACK handling logic from the TCP stack will create
a non standard TCP server,
but a very fast transmitter with low memory requirements and with very
little delay between each call to tcp_write(),
since packets will not have to be buffred until the other side acknowledge
them.

Can someone here guide me through this? or better, is there any magical flag
that does this?
Thank you
Eitan.

I think you answered your own question.  You said "the other listening device is an old and slow machine that knows only TCP and can't be changed".  If you change the behavior of your LwIP TCP stack, the "other listening device" will not understand your broken TCP implementation and won't work properly with it.

Patrick Klos