lwip-users

[lwip-users] DNS using Wired interface and PPP

From: Sergey A. Borshch
Subject: [lwip-users] DNS using Wired interface and PPP
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2019 15:55:22 +0300

Hello everybody.

My system has two network interfaces: main is wired Ethernet and backup is cellular modem using PPPoS. I want to choose which interface to use by netifapi_netif_set_default().

The problem I expect that both interfaces got DNS servers addresses from providers. It is possible that each of interface is connected to each own subnetwork and each provider has it's own DNS servers in their subnetworks not accessible from outside of subnetwork. It means that when I use wired Ethernet interface I should use DNS servers supplied by Internet provider via DHCP and using cellular modem interface I should use DNS severs supplied by cellular operator via IPCP. What is correct way to do do such scenario in lwIP?

As far as I understood lwIP architecture, it uses two global (system-wide) DNS addresses (by default) and each interface overwrites them after getting new values by DHCP/IPCP. So used DNS addresses depends on which interface got their DNS addresses last.

--
Regards,
  Sergey A. Borshch            mailto: address@hidden