lwip-users

[lwip-users] Timeout question

From: Ivan Warren
Subject: [lwip-users] Timeout question
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2018 09:52:24 +0100

People,

I am implementing a "bare metal" (well not really, but that's not the point) system which is :

- non-preempting multithreaded (no other thread runs before a yield() or some waiting function)
- Single processor
- All "threads" run with interrupts disabled
- Interrupts have their own context

And

NO_SYS=1 on the lwip side.

There are multiple threads but only one (the "main" thread invokes LWIP functions), and any "application" is using the RAW api (and is/are in the main thread)

My questions are :

- How often should I invoke sys_check_timeouts() (every ms, every 10 ms, every second) - or (better) is there a way to determine (after any state change obviously) when the next timeout is due ?

- does sys_now/sys_jiffies have to be exactly milleseconds or would powers of 2 do ? (I have a microsecond counter and a 12 right shift would make a nice 1024 microseconds - making sys_now() sys_jiffies return the number of "1.024" ms... would that work ?)

Thanks,

--Ivan