lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] PPP proxy arp support

From: Sylvain Rochet
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] PPP proxy arp support
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2018 12:07:29 +0200

Hi,

On Wed, Oct 10, 2018 at 03:13:56PM +0200, address@hidden wrote:

> Isn't proxy ARP support only really valid when we are a PPP server? That
> wasn't working at that time.

We use to call that client and server but in the end it is just an IP
tunnel and both ends are equal, PPP protocol is mostly (fully if no
corner cases are to be found :>) symmetric regarding which one is the
initiator (e.g. IP addresses are not necessarily given by the initiator,
both ends can even choose their own if remote side allow to do so). So
technically speaking there is no reason for a PPP "client" or I would
rather say non-initiator to never need ARP proxy. However I agree that's
an option for IP routers so it makes more sense in the real world on
what we call PPP "servers".

> >Was curious to know if this is something that, if the surrounding
> >`#define`s were removed, would likely just work,
>
> No, the ARP layer does not have support for this. You'd have to add at least
> that to make it work.
>
> >or if there was some underlying implementation issue that led to its
> >removal.
>
> If I remember correctly, Sylvain started to make things work that he needed
> when porting the updated PPP sources. It doesn't necessarily mean there was
> an issue, but I guess he didn't want to implement proxy ARP support in the
> lwIP ARP layer unless he needed it...

Indeed. If it would be implemented proxy ARP control plane should live
in the netif core code and data plane in the ARP layer. There is no ARP
proxy support per se on the PPP protocol, PPP layer do no more than
setting a few internal flags and asking the system to set/remove an ARP
proxy entry.

Anyway, ARP proxies seem to be a mostly dead thing nowadays, and I
consider that a good thing because it's a huge layer violation. However,
if some day ARP proxy support materialize in the ARP layer I will of
course make it works for PPP since it is just a couple of flags and
functions calls.

Sylvain