lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] Lwip slow received data speed

From: Keith Rubow
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] Lwip slow received data speed
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2018 15:36:21 -0700

For anyone interested, I solved my slow data transfer problem when receiving large amounts of data. Increasing PBUF_POOL_SIZE didn't fix the problem, but it did make the data reception speed up for a little while when I first started sending data. Then it would slow down, and stay slow forever, even if I stopped sending data and then started again. So it felt like a pbuf related issue.

My tcp receive data callback was saving a pointer the the pbuf for later processing, or using pbuf_chain() to chain the pbuf(s) to the end of the currently queued data if I already had some data in my queue. Later background processing took data out of the queued pbufs and would pbuf_free() each pbuf as it was emptied.

The problem was that pbuf_chain() incremented the ref count of the chained pbufs, so when I later called pbuf_free() they were not being freed. The ref count was decremented, but those pbufs were not free, and became permanently unavailable for use. I was running out of pbufs! I changed pbuf_chain() to pbuf_cat() in my tcp receive callback, and everything works perfectly.

Keith Rubow