lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] Correct way to use SNTP safely

From: Wayne Uroda
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] Correct way to use SNTP safely
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2017 16:51:00 +1000

My mistake.

Other functions I am calling:

tcpip_init
netif_add
netif_set_default
netif_set_up
dhcp_start
dns_setserver
netbiosns_set_name
netbiosns_init
sntp_setservername
sntp_init
netconn_*
netbuf_*

When I said the other functions use the mailbox, I guess I was referring to the netconn and netbuf functions, because all those other ones don't seem to use the mailbox.

I take it any function which doesn't make use of the mailbox should be called on the tcp thread somehow.
What is the preferred/easiest method of doing that?
Am I missing some key piece of "lwip for beginners" information which I never read in the first place?

Thanks
- Wayne

On Fri, Sep 22, 2017 at 3:43 PM, Simon Goldschmidt <address@hidden> wrote:
Wayne Uroda wrote:
>> Which functions are you talking about?
> I am calling only sntp_setservername and sntp_init from my code.

Ehrm, when I aske which functions you are talking about, I was referring to your "Every other lwip function I've used [..]" to see if you're violating threading anywhere else.

SNTP is a callback API application and must not be used from outside tcpip_thread (unless you write your own wrapper functions). Period. Nothing paranoid about that.

Simon