lwip-users

[lwip-users] IPv6 MTU vs IPv4 MTU

From: Raphael Zulliger
Subject: [lwip-users] IPv6 MTU vs IPv4 MTU
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2017 16:49:23 +0200

Hi

The following findings and statements are mostly based on observation and I'm not an IP guru, so take the following with a grain of salt.

Having, among others, IPv6 and LWIP_ND6_ALLOW_RA_UPDATES enabled, an "IPv6 router advertisement" that specifies an MTU causes LWIP to update its internal MTU size to the advertised one. Therefore, any forthcoming packet will be treated by this new MTU. The problem with this (IMO) is that this mistakenly not only happens for IPv6 packets but also for forthcoming IPv4 packets.

IMHO, the MTUs for both versions of IP should be treated separately, at least this is what my Ubuntu 16.04/64bit seems to do: It uses 1500 Bytes MTU for IPv4 (as reported by 'ifconfig') and uses 1480, as advertised by our router (reported by 'traceroute6 xxx:xxx:xxxx::0204:3dff:fe00:2864'). Moreover, Wireshark actually doubles that, as the IPv4 packets sent from Linux to the LWIP embedded device use up to 1500 payload, where as the responses from the LWIP embedded device occupy at most 1480 Bytes.

As for now, I've patched my (not 100% up to date) version of LWIP with the attached patch, whereas both MTU's are initially set to 1500.

What do you think? Have I found a bug and shall I open a bug report or am I wrong?

Thanks,
Raphael