lwip-users

[lwip-users] VRF with LwIP

From: Antoine Zen-Ruffinen
Subject: [lwip-users] VRF with LwIP
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2017 08:58:59 +0000

Hi list,

I need your expertise. I am developing a device that will have two Ethernet
interface using LwIP 2.0.1. The aim of having two interface on this device is
to have the device connected into two physicaly separated LANs, let's say
"management" LAN and "customer" LAN. I am worried about the case when both
interface get the same private IP address (like 192.168.1.xxx) but in
physically separated networks (I think that could happened).

 I know that that is possible under GNU/Linux using so called "Virtual Routing
and Forwarding (VRF)"  (see
https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/networking/vrf.txt). Is LwIP able to
handle this? It means remember from which interface a TCP connection was
initiated  or to bind socket to a "netif" object and not only to an IP and then
to forward outgoing packets to the right interface. It will also need to have
two routing and ARP table I think.

Also, I think a possible solution would be to have TWO stack running in
parallel (I know, it would consume twice the RAM). Has anybody ever done this ?
Does the code allow this, or is the TCP/IP stack "singleton" ?

Thanks for your reply!

Antoine