lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] Question regarding mdns responder

From: Joel Cunningham
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] Question regarding mdns responder
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2017 09:10:38 -0500

On Mar 21, 2017, at 6:30 AM, Dirk Ziegelmeier <address@hidden> wrote:

The problem is that you have two hosts with the same name "BGW" (= "BGW.local" MDNS name) in the same network. They should have different names.

Is this a known limitation of LwIP’s mDNS implementation?  I haven’t done an audit, but from my experience with mDNS, the “Probing” step of claiming records should ensure the hostname is unique. See https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6762#section-8

I've worked with Apple’s mDNSResponder and if two devices have the same hostname, the one that detects the collision ends up adding “(2)" the hostname to make it unique.

Joel