lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] LLDP Implementation for 1.4.1

From: Amit Ashara
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] LLDP Implementation for 1.4.1
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2016 19:01:02 -0600

Hello Simon,

Thanks for the list of to-do items. How do I open a patch tracker?

1. As for the heap allocation, it is being released after the packet is transmitted.
2. Should I remove the opt.h and stats.h defines being integrated in the lldp.c file?
3. The protocol values are required for LLDP and I checked the other file for protocol definition and it was kept in ethernetif.h and hence I followed the same structure. Where do you suggest I move the same?

On Mon, Nov 14, 2016 at 2:52 AM, Simon Goldschmidt <address@hidden> wrote:
Amit Ashara wrote:
> [..] The function that the receive performs is highly varied based on the context of the TLV.

That's also true for transmission. E.g. going back to the profinet case, there are numerous other
things to send. You'd need to find a way to make sending configurable to make it useful for
the non-standard-IT case...

Other than that:
- please diff against newer sources (git master, 2.0.0)
- indentation = 2 spaces, not 4
- no need to change opt.h/stats.h, such deep integration is neither wanted nor needed for 3rd party protocols
- don't use heap allocation just to fill in a TLV: this is for embedded systems, right?
- separate protocol definitions from external interface of the component (not everything in one header)
- keep private functions "static" in the C file
- etc...?

And last but not least, I have to repeate myself: if you want this to be integrated into core lwIP,
open a patch tracker entry for it on savannah and put the sources there.

Simon