lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] lwIP ports for RTEMS, POSIX based RTOS and FreeRTOS, TM

From: Pavel Pisa
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] lwIP ports for RTEMS, POSIX based RTOS and FreeRTOS, TMS570 a LPC17/40xx drivers
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2016 11:40:14 +0200

Hello Dirk,

thanks for reply.

On Wednesday 17 of August 2016 12:46:52 Dirk Ziegelmeier wrote:
> thank your for your willingness to contribute back to lwIP.
>
> Unfortunately, I don't think it is a good idea to add ports to lwip-contrib
> that are not very closely maintained to lwIP itself.

I fully understand your stance.

I cannot promise in time support for all these because
most of my work is not backed by any project with back
by money or personell continuous maintenance.

But I think that it worth to unite effort and help
others/offer effort  already invested by me, our
university students and freelancers/colleagues
paid by my company.

So I hope that our work can help others and that
is why I have decided to notify upstream lwIP
community.

As for FreeRTOS port, it seems that lwIP for it is demanded,
ported and used by many peoples. FreeRTOS is integrated
to many semiconductors companies tools offerings.
But as the most of FreeRTOS activities, it seems to be non-coordinated
and I have not found good lwIP maintained port for it (may it be my
mistake in searching). But may it be that it is reserved for SafeRTOS.
But FreeRTOS based chipmaker tools support is demanded by our
university industrial partners.
For example for this rapind prototyping project

  http://rtime.felk.cvut.cz/rpp-tms570/

As for RTEMS port, this is much more favored project and ecosystem
by me. RTEMS has it own historical IPV4 only TCP/IP stack but
it aims to use TPC/IP stack which is more widely used and has
a stronger community. It actually offers complete BSD based stack for
targets with enough memory. But there is an urgency to provide
a stack for smaller MCUs targets which has even smaller memory
requirements than original IPv4 stack. lwIP seem to be a well
fitting alternative in this case. This project is still mostly
a hobby project by me with help from some students
but I want to keep that project up-to-date with lwIP mainline
and as time allows to extend it to fully integrated RTEMS/newlib
socket() syscall based solution. I participate for a long time
in RTEMS community and lwIP based solution is supported
by RTEMS community which already opened some GSoC
slots for the lwIP project. (TMS570 driver is result
of Premysl Houdek's RTEMS GSoC project and then finalization
and cleanup has been proceeded during his Diploma thesis).

As for 1.5.0 lwIP version, it has been actual version encoded
in lwIP init.h at the time of our first porting to sysless.
But we plan to move to 2.0 for final projects when it
is available and track actual GIT version to be prepared
for future upgrades.

Best wishes,

               Pavel