lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] Problems with sending UDP packets in FreeRTOS

From: Mike Fleetwood
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] Problems with sending UDP packets in FreeRTOS
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2016 19:47:51 +0100

Hi Simon,

That is exactly what I was trying to identify.

I put the "borrowed" code in to prove/check that fault wasn't in what I had written - succeeded there, I think.

After that, it has to be at some lower level - that it, either in LWIP or in ST's driver interface. So, now we know the low level driver returns ERR_USE (when maybe it would be more useful to return something like ERR_DMA?). I was kind of hoping that someone might be able to suggest a reason why?

It has been suggested that the data rate is too high. An overall packet size of 67 bytes sent every 4mS is not exactly "SuperFast". I have a 180MHz CPU and a 10MHz ethernet segment. I know the whole packet send gets processed, from creation to end of wire transmission in a maximum of about 200uS - long before I start creating the next one - so what possible reason is there for the DMA to run out of buffers? There is virtually no other traffic on this network segment that could cause collision and no ARP to wait for (which would have happened at a higher level anyway).

I have reduced the send rate to one every 100mS, and the packet data is 25 bytes - so far (since last compile) it has successfuly sent about 20k packets. This is with all the other threads enabled and regular access to the HTTP status page to see how it's getting on (no warning messages). I'm using my original udp_test function - that checks for errors and reports them (not the "borrowed" one!).

I'm going to try bigger or faster packets in a minute.

Many thanks,

Mike.