lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] Configuring PPP Options in Version 2.0.0 Beta1

From: Sylvain Rochet
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] Configuring PPP Options in Version 2.0.0 Beta1
Date: Sat, 2 Jul 2016 22:30:47 +0200

Hi Greg,

On Thu, Jun 30, 2016 at 02:50:02PM +0000, Greg Smith wrote:

> Agreed that most won't be necessary.
> Right now, I'd like to be able to set the following lcp_options:
> passive,

Done.

> silent,

Done.

> restart*,
>
> *restart may not be needed.  I don't see it implemented anywhere.  But
> for my application, I need a way to ensure the PPP connection stays
> up/reconnects as often as possible.  (I do it with the link status
> callback now, which is fine.)

I don't want to. Restart have a very different meaning whether we use
PPPoS, PPPoE or PPPoL2TP.

The main problem here is that PPP was designed for PPPoS at first, there
are a lot of PPP options that are only there for PPPoS and which are
totally useless or even dangerous for PPPoE or PPPoL2TP. LCP restart is
one of them :-)

This is the same problem with listening, listening for PPPoS means
waiting for a LCP packet, so LCP is already running, listening for PPPoE
means waiting for a PADI packet, and once PPPoE session is established,
start the PPP session, and listening for PPPoL2TP means waiting for a
SCCRQ packet, and once PPPoL2TP session is established, start the PPP
session.

I prefer to keep the PPP state flow logical, by doing our best to keep
the major part of the API common and to have the same behavior for
PPPoS, PPPoE, and PPPoL2TP.

> neg_pcompression,

Done.

> neg_acompression

Done.

> I don't need it myself, but there should also (probably) be an "easy"
> way to set neg_asyncmap, along with defining the actual async map
> itself.  (Maybe there already is?  I didn't look.)

Done.

Sylvain