lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] Changing MAC address of network interface?

From: Freddie Chopin
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] Changing MAC address of network interface?
Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2016 17:51:39 +0200

On czw, 2016-04-07 at 14:51 +0000, Noam Weissman wrote:
> If your TCP stack sends data before you change the MAC the older MAC
> address is saved by the router/switch
> It is connected to.. also it make sense that some packets are saved
> within the TCP stack buffering with the
> older MAC address (before you change it).

That's the thing I'm asking about. If the router saves the MAC, will
future connections (after I change the MAC) work correctly? How about
currently active TCP connections?

> What I am saying that you can change MAC address on the fly but I
> think it's better to do it before you connect
> the cable and start data transfer.

I just want to know whether or not this can be easily done and whether
this will work reliably. If it can be done, I would prefer to give the
user such possibility. If it cannot be done, then I will write in the
documentation that any change of MAC is effective only after hard reset
of the device (de-initializing and re-initializing network interface is
too disruptive).

Changing MAC will most likely be done extremely rarely, that's why I
don't want to write a lot of code to actually perform such change. But
if just changing hwaddr contents (and changing MAC in the EMAC driver
of the chip) is enough, then why not?

Regards,
FCh