lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] routing over PPP using lwip

From: Sylvain Rochet
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] routing over PPP using lwip
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2016 14:13:01 +0100

Hi Ajay,

On Mon, Jan 18, 2016 at 05:19:11PM +0530, address@hidden wrote:

> > What you are looking for is a NAT[1] implementation, not basic IP
> > routing[2], lwIP does not provide NAT at all. There used to be a
> > basic NAT feature merged in, but it was removed because the one who
> > proposed the patch wasn't allowed to do so.
> >
> > NAT, other than basic NAT support, is a huge task. Especially for
> > tricky protocols (FTP, SIP/RTP, …) which require well designed
> > helpers. I'm not sure it qualify as being added in a lightweight
> > stack.
> >
> > Sylvain
> >
> > [1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_address_translation
> > [2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Packet_forwarding
>
> I am probably misunderstood IP_FORWARD switch of LwIP. Sorry for being
> silly now, May I ask in what scenario IP_FORWARD is used?

Anyone needing a small IP router, e.g. between two Ethernet networks.
NAT is much much more than just IP routing.

> Also I just did a quick search on LwIP + NAT, and I found this
> discussion: http://savannah.nongnu.org/task/?7506
> Looks like someone was working on it but why NAT is not added to LwIP?

Copyright issue, as explained in the discussion you are referencing.

> Is it something not allowed to be done?

It is allowed, and if you do it with approval from your company to
distribute the code, it will be very welcomed ;-)

> I am confused as I see file attached to the posts are also missing.

Yep, removed due to copyright infringement.

Sylvain