lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] Ping zero checksum, hostname

From: Oliver Schindler
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] Ping zero checksum, hostname
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2015 19:25:45 +0200

Hi Mark,

On 30.09.2015 00:24, Mark Lederman wrote:

Hello:

I’m using lwip 1.4.1 with a TI eval board. When I ping the board I get an echo response however the checksum value is zero. On the pc side I get the message “request timed out”. Using a network analyzer and pinging anything else on the network the checksum is not zero. When stepping through the lwip code it does appear to generate a checksum but apparently it’s not transmitted? I’ve tried setting many options but no joy. Do you have any suggestions? It appears the problem I’m having could be the same as another user describes on an ST board.

http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/lwip-users/2013-07/msg00053.html

Part Two: I’d like to be able to ping using the hostname. I enabled DNS and NETIF_HOSTNAME as others have suggested but when I ping the default hostname “lwip” I get the response “Ping request couldn’t find host lwip”. Any suggestions? Ultimately I’d like to be able to enter the hostname in a browser to access the web server. To get the browser working with hostname do I need to implement mDNS (Bonjour protocol) for users on Apple devices and LLMNR for Windows users or is being able to ping using the hostname enough to have it work in the browser?

Quite a while ago i faced the same problem, when i tried to ping my system from windows. So i implemented the "NetBios-NameService" for
LWIP as a responder for the Windows NetBiosCalls. I didn't checked if this fits to an actual version of LWIP, but maybe it might help you as a jumpstart.

Best regards,
Oliver