lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] Question regarding how to access a linux lwip applicati

From: Sylvain Rochet
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] Question regarding how to access a linux lwip application from outside.
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2015 14:42:39 +0200

Hi Pîrvu,

On Fri, Aug 21, 2015 at 03:26:15PM +0300, Pîrvu Mihai wrote:
> Let's say I developed an application that uses the lwip API, on linux using
> the contrib/unix/ stuff. I have modified the "unixsim" application that
> comes by default so it serves my purpose.
>
> I have a random server application created with lwip-socket API that runs
> on, let's say port 5555 and I have a public ip of let's say 188.99.99.99.
>
> If i were to write this application using the posix API, I could easily
> connect to the server at 188.99.99.99:5555, but using the unix port, it
> creates a virtual interface "tap0", with a different set of IP and mask
> from my public IP from ethernet cable or wi-fi.
>
> My question is, how can i access my application from a different network,
> over internet, using my public IP.

It depends on how your public IP is bound and on what you are allowed to
do.

If your public IP is bound to a L2 interface you can bridge this
interface with tap0 using Linux bridge facilities but you should check
first that you are allowed to do so.

If your public IP is bound to a L3 interface or if you are not allowed
to bridge this interface, you are out of luck, but you can still use
SNAT/NETFILER or IPVS/LVS, depending on what you prefer.

Sylvain