lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] Local "ping"

From: Norberto R. de Goes Jr.
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] Local "ping"
Date: Wed, 8 Apr 2015 08:31:58 -0300

Ola Sergio, how are you?
Thank you very much by your reply. I got understand your explanations.

Best regards.
Norberto

Ola Norberto,

> - VM´s network configured as "NAT Network"
Sorry, I don't know what that is, assuming your virtual machines +
network are properly configured, it doesn't matter wether they are
virtual or real, they are machines in one or many networks and can be
pinged if routed and not firewalled.

If I understand correctly, you are running lwIP under Ubuntu GNU/Linux.
I don't know what your particular netif does (sorry, that is your job),
the "standard" provided in the contrib tree: mintapif, uses a TUN/TAP
interface.
Bear in mind that different interfaces (except in some particular cases)
must belong to different IP networks, otherwise you must bridge them.
The TUN/TAP interface has its own IP subnet and the host machine routes
to it because it looks like a physical interface. In order for the other
machines to reach that, they have to be configured to properly route
that subnet.

> I configure the netif with IP=10.0.2.62, MASK=255.255.255.0, GW=10.0.2.61
>
> The eth-7 (VM#1) interface has this configuration:
> eth7      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 08:00:27:48:61:0c
>           inet addr:10.0.2.6  Bcast:10.0.2.255  Mask:255.255.255.0

For what I think I understand, you have two Ethernet interfaces within
the same IP subnet in the same machine. That won't work unless you
bridge them or change one of them.
You should see an interface for lwIP in your ifconfig with the GW
address you configured for lwIP. If you expect Linux to route, then
addresses must belong to different subnets, otherwise, put the
interfaces into a bridge so Linux can bridge them.

The ARP request is a broadcast, the Echo Request (ping) is unicast.
check for something like this in your netif.c

   netif->flags |= NETIF_FLAG_BROADCAST | NETIF_FLAG_ETHARP;