lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] Fwd: question about using master/head instead of 1.4.1

From: Sylvain Rochet
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] Fwd: question about using master/head instead of 1.4.1
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2015 11:47:48 +0100

Hello Thomas,

On Wed, Jan 14, 2015 at 08:09:39AM -0200, Thomas Ubensee wrote:
> Hello Sylvain,
>
> we pretend to use lwip in a project and have some questions about PPP.
> Simon said you could help us.
> The thing is that we want to use lwip version 1.4.1 because of its proven
> stability and the fact that features in newer versions are of no interest
> to us. The only issue is that PPP got a major modernization after version
> 1.4.1 and we wonder if we:
> or 2. can use PPP of version 1.4.1 without major risk?

It depends of what you mean with "major risk", I started
re-doing/re-working the PPP stack because I didn't want to put the old
stack in production :-)

Not because it was that bad, that's not that, that was actually good,
don't get me wrong, but it was in a bitrot condition and it asked for
love (twice, or even more, ;-)

> 1. should merge the new PPP code into version 1.4.1?
> or 3. can use a branch which consists only of original lwip version 1.4.1 +
> new PPP?

I don't understand fully, there are necessary missing words in those two
questions affecting the meaning. To what I understand, yes, *you* can do
that, this can be cherry-picked easily, there are a lot of diffset to be
picked out (about ~350) but it will mostly be a fast-forward merge, the final
manual
merge will be very easy.

> According to the changelog the new PPP code reduces memory consumption and
> is more suitable for embedded devices. This is no matter for us.
> I only would like to know if there are any ugly bugs in PPP of version
> 1.4.1 that have been fixed in the new code.

About 10 years of bugfix, furthermore no one (including me) is going to
help you if you encounter issue (and you probably will) with the old PPP
port. You are on your own if you really want to use it.

Sylvain