lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] TM4C1294 LWIP Usage

From: Lee
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] TM4C1294 LWIP Usage
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2014 15:03:30 -0700 (MST)

Hi Simon,

I'm using the TM4C1294 which is cortex M4 running at 120MHz so I hope to be able to give you some feedback in the near future. Although with data coming into the GPIO ports at 800kHz and being written to ping pong buffers I'm a little concerned, despite the uDMA. But that's a different bridge to cross.

Lee.

On Fri, Dec 19, 2014 at 5:00 AM, Simon Goldschmidt [via lwIP] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Noam weissman wrote:
> Do not expect high throughput from LwIP. It is small but not very fast.
> I have read people are able to run it at about 1Mb, maybe I am wrong.

Yes, you are. Getting 1 MByte/second on a TCP connection (if that's what
you mean by 1Mb), is much too slow for lwIP. Back in 2006, I was able to
get ~2,5 MByte/s without too much effort on a 50MHz Altera-Softcore
processor with a MAC that required me to copy every packet to/from its
buffers.

Nowadays, having a Cortex-M and a zero-copy MAC, I'd expect to get much
better rates. I haven't had a chance to test it, though, as we're still
stuck with that old platform. I always wanted to benchmark it again,
maybe I'll have to try and get a benchmark platform running...

Anyway, if you're getting 1MByte/s only, I have no doubt there's
something wrong with your lwIP configuration or with the port you're
using. (Or you have set up lwIP to be slow to prevent it from stealing
the CPU from more important tasks)

Simon