lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] Split DNS for multihomed setup

From: Mikael Eiman
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] Split DNS for multihomed setup
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2014 10:05:32 +0200

Hi,

18 aug 2014 kl. 23:35 skrev Radouch, Zdenek <address@hidden>:

That very detail is *the* most important detail, as it clearly violates the DNS rules.
You cannot realistically expect the resolver to help you if you ignore the
rules of the game (OK, so perhaps it's not you, but that's irrelevant :-)).

1. A duplicate name is a clear problem that must be eliminated; don't try inventing some
   magic to "fix" it through routing or any other hacks.

2. Be very careful when you say "private" network. This term is abused almost every single time
   it is used. I have spent years trying to teach people why they should not use it.
   My suggestion -- forget the "private" attribute when considering whether or not your network
   architecture will work.
   Take this very case -- you have duplicate names in your name space, and you (or someone else)
   thinks it is OK, as long as you label the networks "private". They are not very private if the nodes
   on them share their name space with other networks, are they?

Just wanted to add a note about this: if you’re using Multicast DNS (mDNS) it’s entirely legal and perhaps even expected that the same name will resolve to different hosts on separate links. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multicast_DNS

In basic usage mDNS handles link-local resolution and conflict handling, but it also supports non-local usage models.

I don’t think there’s a publicly available mDNS implementation for lwIP, but writing one isn’t terribly complicated.

regards,
Mikael