lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] TCP: ACK problem?

From: David Empson
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] TCP: ACK problem?
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2013 12:48:31 +1200

Andre replied to me directly. I've explained to him how to join the mailing list and do this properly, but in the meantime, I've attached a copy of his lwipopts.h and my subsequent reply follows, in the hope that others can add their comments on the problem.

A second opinion from someone more familiar with the LWIP memory allocator (we use a custom one so I haven't looked at LWIP's one in detail) and your particular target's network driver would be helpful, but from a quick look I think my theory about running out of pbufs is on the right track.

Your PBUF_POOL_SIZE is only 6. Depending on the implementation of your network driver and application, this pool may be used to store both received packets and packets which are copied for transmission by tcp_write().

With only 6 pbufs available for allocation and 3 of them occupied by unacknowledged outgoing packets, you would only need 3 more allocated anywhere else in the system to have none left for processing receive packets, resulting in your network driver discarding all incoming packets rather than being able to deliver them to ip_input().

As I alluded to in my first message, you should be able to confirm this by looking at the data generated by LWIP_STATS and see if you are getting memory allocation errors for the MEMP_PBUF_POOL type of memory pool, which go up each time another packet is received if I'm right. To see the error counting logic, follow the code through from pbuf.c:pbuf_alloc() to memp.c:memp_malloc(), with reference to stats.h.

If that error is confirmed, you will need to identify where the other three pbufs have got to and/or limit the number of consecutive calls you make to tcp_write() whiledata has been acknowledged and/or increase PBUF_POOL_SIZE (which would result in lwip being allocated more memory overall), or come up with some other strategy to limit the conflicting memory allocation.