lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] DNS query

From: Harald Johansen
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] DNS query
Date: Mon, 08 Apr 2013 08:00:02 +0200

Hi Nick,

Many devices have implemented DNS proxying, like <dnsmasq>, to provide a local domain name for the device.

/Harald

On 04/08/2013 12:30 AM, Nikolas Karakotas wrote:
Hi,

Thanks. I will have a look at it. I bought this netgear wireless adapter that does this and traced the packets with Wireshark. It was a DNS query from the PC and then a reply from the device. 2 packets at most but I need to investigate further.

Regards,
Nick

Sent: Sunday, April 07, 2013 9:30 PM

Hi Nick,

If you connect direction a PC to the embedded system, unless your PC is DHCP server, your board won't get an IP. What i would use in your case is AUTOIP (this is supported in lwip). Then, in order to address your board using DNS names, again, if no DNS server is available on your PC, i suggest you to have a look at multicast DNS ( this one is not currently supported in lwip AFAIK, you'll have to develop it).
Both of these standards are part of Zeroconf suit, you may be interested to have a look...

regards,
Bastien