lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] STABLE-1.4.1 IPv6 Initialization Examples or Guidance

From: Grant Erickson
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] STABLE-1.4.1 IPv6 Initialization Examples or Guidance
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2012 14:25:53 -0800

On Dec 14, 2012, at 9:00 AM, "Ivan Delamer" <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi Grant,
>
> A link-local address must be initialized manually. This allows you to
> create a LL address based on MAC, or if you want to use something simple
> such as fe80::1 you can do that as well.
>
> There are some helper methods for this, what I do after netif_add() is this:
>
>  netif_create_ip6_linklocal_address(&EMAC_if, 1);
>  netif_ip6_addr_set_state((&EMAC_if), 0, IP6_ADDR_TENTATIVE);
>
> Since an interface can have multiple IPv6 addresses, the LL address must
> always be indexed at 0. Neighbor discovery and related algorithms make the
> assumption that the LL address is EMAC_if.ip6_addr[0].
>
> Cheers
> Ivan

Ivan,

Thanks for the feedback; I'll give that a try.

I've also since discovered that netif->ip6_autoconfig_enabled must be
explicitly set to 1. Which is somewhat confusing since I thought that's what
would have happened when I asserted LWIP_IPV6_AUTOCONFIG in lwipopts.h.

So, if the link local address must be set manually, what is it that
ip6_autoconfig / LWIP_IPV6_AUTOCONFIG is supposed to accomplish?

Best,

Grant