lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] How does a DHCP client associate its IP address with it

From: Simon Goldschmidt
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] How does a DHCP client associate its IP address with its host name
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2012 20:11:23 +0200

Yandar wrote:

> I am trying to implement something in my device (DHCP client) so that it can
> link its DHCP IP address with its host name. Furthermore, it would send
> requests to the server to update the DNS table. The ultimate goal is that
> the user can communicate with the device using its host name.
>
> Does LWIP support a function like this? If so, would you be so kind to point
> me in the right direction?
>
> Your knowledge and expertise are sincerely appreciated.

The is no standard way to do this. You can be lucky though and it might work
if, and only if, the "server" has DHCP and DNS services combined so that the
DHCP server can take the hostname from a DHCP request (I don't know the lwIP
setting by heart, but you can find it in opt.h) and pass it to the DNS server.
However, this is regarded kind of insecure and therefore not often enabled.

Another way (which only works for windows clients) would be to use net bios
name service, which works using broadcasts and there is a netbios
implementation in contrib.

A third way (again, depending on the clients you want to support) would be
mDNS, which works great for apple clients, but I don't know of an
implementation for lwIP.

Simon