lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] ethernetif_input usage with Ethernet over SPI

From: Tomáš Švec
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] ethernetif_input usage with Ethernet over SPI
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2012 13:41:03 +0200

Hi again,

I just wanted to let you know this was a firmware problem of the Ethernet chip - as there is another stack running on this thing, it did utilize ARP packets, but then discarded them. We were promised an update of FW. Thank you for your help!

Tomas

2012/8/23 Sylvain Rochet <address@hidden>
Hi,

On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 04:50:07PM +0200, Tomás Svec wrote:
> The problem is, the external chip is a prototype, so this would not help
> the cause. I am currently in contact with the manufacturer to clarify the
> ARP packages. But I am sure it does not have an embedded stack, just ARPs.

Well, but the ARP table is part of an IP stack (if used over Ethernet),
and is actually in some implementations part of the IP routing table,
where /32 routing entries contains Ethernet MAC/output-interface
tupples.

I don't see how it can work if you do not receive ARP answers, you need
them in order to fill the MAC destination address in Ethernet frames,
which is either the final destination if the host in is the same IP
subnet or either an IP router if not.

Or maybe I misunderstood what you said ? :)

Sylvain