lwip-users

[lwip-users] Defining the default route

From: Mason
Subject: [lwip-users] Defining the default route
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2012 17:11:33 +0100

Hello,

I'm using lwip 1.4.1

Below is the code I use to initialize the network stack.

static void do_lwip_init(void *arg)
{
  struct netif *netif = malloc(sizeof *netif);
  memset(netif, 0, sizeof *netif);
#if USE_DHCP
  netif_add(netif, NULL, NULL, NULL, NULL, ethernetif_init, tcpip_input);
  dhcp_start(netif);
#else
  ip_addr_t addr, mask;
  IP4_ADDR(&addr, 192, 168,   1, 42);
  IP4_ADDR(&mask, 255, 255, 255,  0);
  netif_add(netif, &addr, &mask, NULL, NULL, ethernetif_init, tcpip_input);
  netif_set_up(netif);
#endif
}

void eth_init(void)
{
  tcpip_init(do_lwip_init, NULL);
}

When I try to connect to an address outside the LAN, I get an
ERR_RTE error (Routing problem).

Looking at struct netif *ip_route(ip_addr_t *dest)
IIUC, ip_route will check if the address is local,
otherwise, it will send via netif_default when it
is set.

Several questions:

1) The correct function to use is netif_set_default, right?

2) If I use static addressing, I have to declare the
default route myself, using netif_set_default?

3) When using DHCP, does the DHCP code take care of
declaring the default route, or do I have to do it
myself, like point 2?

--
Regards.