lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] lwip not working with Linksys switch?

From: Joe Bloggs84
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] lwip not working with Linksys switch?
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2012 22:02:49 +1100

This is good advice. If your MAC address doesn't conform to some rules some systems will not pass the packets and/or some DHCP servers will refuse to allocate an IP address.

If you want to create your own MAC address for testing then you might consider using a "locally administered address" - basically make sure the first octet has bit 0 = 0 and bit 1 = 1, or easy to just choose 0x02 as the first octet of the MAC.

The following IEEE pdf has details but be careful of the bit ordering in the document (they are shown with the LS bit on the left of the octet when displaying the binary representation):
http://standards.ieee.org/develop/regauth/tut/macgrp.pdf

Bye for now,
Ian