lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] Using ARP to get MAC address

From: Simon Goldschmidt
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] Using ARP to get MAC address
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2012 09:57:11 +0100

> I am trying to get destination MAC address, when I know destination IP
> address for my packet offload mechanism.

I'm not sure that the etharp module exposes the correct functions to do what
you want. The information should however be available in the arp cache. Using
etharp_query() sounds correct (since you do want to send a query). Using
etharp_find_addr() also sounds correct but I don't know why it would procude a
gratuitous arp. I should only search the ARP table.

I guess first using etharp_query() to issue the request and then repeatedly
using etharp_find_addr() to search the ARP table for the address should be the
way to go. Maybe you need to re-issue the request with a timeout if you don't
get a response.

Simon