lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] Detail usage of ppp (address@hidden)

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] Detail usage of ppp (address@hidden)
Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2011 22:24:34 +0200

Paul Archer wrote:
Done
http://lwip.wikia.com/wiki/PPP#PPP_from_an_application_perspective
Cool, thanks for that!
I hope that is in the correct place. if anyone wants to have a read an
comment/fix any mistakes feel free to.
I'm not too sure about multithreading, regarding thread-safety: functions like pppOverSerialOpen and pppClose are *not* designed to be thread-safe and should thus only be called from tcpip_thread. I know that examples have been around which use the functions like that, but they access common structures without locking, which could lead to concurrency problems.

Aside from that, what's the 'done' variable (in the loop after pppOverSerialOpen())? Did you mean "while(!connected)"? Because that's what you pass to pppOverSerialOpen, too?
I might add a section on debugging PPP (as it can be hard to know if
you got the username/password correct)
Now that would really be a nice thing to have: I can comment on code and how ppp interacts with lwIP, but unfortunately, I don't have too much knowledge about ppp internals. This might be handy for me, too!

David Empson also already wrote some helpful hints on lwip-users around two months ago, we could add a link to this mail (or some parts of it) to the wiki: http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/lwip-users/2011-06/msg00036.html

Simon